BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Small RECAP of the BET Awards 20-0H EIGHT...


So...um, fuckery was ACTUALLY kept to a minimum last night at the BET Awards which transpired in LA, California on last night. I tuned in sure that I would see phenomenal amounts of bull shit and mess, but I was somewhat pleasantly surprised when people seemed to (for the most part) know what they were doing. The observations that follow are MINE, and my opinions....(just a forewarning). I'd also like to note that I don't remember EVERY ASPECT OF THE SHOW...soo...

Starting from the tip-top (in no particular order)...

Ursh...what the fuck? Okay, his dancing was sub-par at best (a whole bunch of washed up MJ a la Scarecrow from the Wiz moves). His performance was just OK. He had voice-over music, which a lot of people think is NOT lip-syncing but to me it is!! That is one of my pet-peeves about artist. Whether I'm at the show in person or not, I want to see/hear LIVE singing. If you're out of breath that's your own fault for not doing your exercises and shit. So yeah, Usher gets a C- from me, performance wise. I honestly forgot about his performance til this morning when Alfredes from the Russ Parr Morning show reminded me...lol...do better next time, Mr. Raymond.

Ne-Yo. He did a good job, imo. His singing was good (no voice overs), and when he got ready to do complicated dance moves, he executed them w/o singing and did them WELL!! His dancing is MUCH better than Usher's these days. Hats off to the brother, for he is a true performer. To be noted that Ne-Yo received the first standing O for the night!

T-Pain. I am biased, because I love this ugly man. His stage presence is AWESOME and his vibe is contagious!!! That's all I have on him.

Marvin Sapp. Loved you!

RiRi (Rihanna). Girl, KUDOS!! That's what I'm talking bout. Fuck all that excessive dancing. That is not what people typically know you for, you SING! Thank you for standing still and still shutting it down with your voice! Your voice has gotten SOO much better over the years, and I love your music (was a fan from the start, but you started to piss me off, but you've redeemed yourself since then). Great Job, RiRi...

Alicia Keys. Lady, you are awesome. But you get like 50-11 COOL POINTS for bringing out my 2 FAVORITE girl groups of all time, SWV and TLC. I LOVED THAT. My bestest CoCo and I were texting each other like, "OMG!". Oh, and wow...last I heard EnVogue had a new member, but looks like Lucy Pearl (that's all I know her by) decided to come back for a reunion type situation. Cool Beans. Alicia, thanks Soror!

Keyshia Cole. I'm disappointed, and I agree with others that Lil' Kim pretty much saved you, and that's really sad and not saying much. You can do better, and should have kept that wack dancing to a MINIMUM!! THANKS!

Chris Brown. I love your funky draws!! Great singing, as always. For you to be one of the younger dudes in the game, you have a lot of what I like...*wink*. But no, you sing live WELL, and you can dance your pants off. Bringing CiCi out (who is the QUEEN of dance in MY DAY, sorry Janet) was a GREAT touch! Loved your performance buddy.

DJ Khaled and nim. Thanks for bringing Luda and Big Boy out, them my babies!!

Al Green Tribute:
Jill. Love you girl, and congrats on the engagement
Anthony Hamilton. I love love love you! You remind me alot of mine when it comes to singing.
MAXWELL. Nigga, where have you been with your flyy self!? Great job brother. Been missin you out here!

AL GREEN. Honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award, you are truly deserving!! You'll never know how much you have influenced the music world. I love your music, always have (since a youngin) always will. I loved your energy on stage. You showed that even though you are a minister, you haven't forgotten where you've come from, and that you made a HUGE impact on us with your R&B soul music. That is nothing to be ashamed of, and I'm so happy you embraced that and gave us a spectac performance!!

Wayne. Not too much I can say other than, you did pretty good. I agree with Fredes or Russ when they said your performance was anti-climatic. I was expecting something more, but whatever. Still love ya. A Millie was my fave part!

Oh...Nelly and Jeezy. I forgot about y'all...sorry...uhh...forgettable performances at best :-(. Nelly...Fergie is NOT a good look, holmes. That is ALL...Jeezy, you need more energy on stage. I got bored watching you and obviously forgot you did anything. DO BETTER!

General Comments on the show:

DL. You still suck ass. And I can't believe you called Marvin Sapp, Warren. What the hell were you thinking about when you were introducing him?

Quincy. I love you! Recipient of the Humanitarian Award

Niecey Nash. We don't need to adopt white kids. We need to adopt our own, because that's what makes up majority of the system. Don't do me!

Solange and all them that came out (D. Banner, Brandon T. Jackson, CASSIE , Souljah Boy ). Y'all look like a reject dance crew from America's Next Best Dance Crew. Do better, all of yas!

Cuba Gooding Jr. Baby, were you high?
Nia. I love you!
Morris. UGH!

Gabrielle U. UUUGHHH!
Ashanti. BANANAS!!!
Terrence Howard. I secretly think you are hot and sexy and I looooove you. Your swagger, though at times fruitacular, is VERY intriguing. That Spanish guitar mess you did was enough to make me...
Lauren London. You go girl!!
J. Hud. STOP, PLEASE
L.L. Ummm...relevance? Please go RETIRE FOR GOOD!

Kanye. You're a good dude, man.
Bun B. I POP IT FOR PIMP!!!!
Ummm...Keyshia Cole's folks . DO BETTER!!! Y'all were almost there!

Diddy's momfukin ass. GO A--W---A----Y!!!!

Anybody else that I forgot, Sorry...they were forgettable.

Oh and Debs Lee. No more yellow for you, boo!

Over all, the show was decent. I don't think I'll watch it again when it comes on on Thursday. I have better things to do with my life.

I am, however, excited about the new season of Baldwin Hills. How long has it been?? A year almost? I've missed my babies (Sal and MoMo, but looks like Sal gots a baby mama :-( ). Anyway, there is no more Garnette as far as I can see...GOOD!!! Season Premier is July 8th!! If you are interested, check it out. It is one of the only shows I watch BET for.

I'll probably do a post about BH as the premier approaches. You can find videos and photos of the Awards show here and here

I think that about sums it up for my recap. For all things BET Awards show 2008, just hit up BET.com right here. See y'all lata!!

0 comments: